Underlying Leader to Leader is the belief that leadership development is a shared responsibility, a partnership between the Institute and the L2L Fellows. Thus leadership skills are developed within the context of MIT's culture and aligned to the strategic needs of the Institute.
L2L is a nationally recognized best-practice leadership development program. A number of universities now model similar programs after MIT's.
To learn more about L2L's impact, watch our video.
Why Does MIT Sponsor L2L?
- Insure the stewardship of MIT, its mission and values
- Foster distributed world-class leadership throughout MIT
- Cultivate leaders who seize change as opportunity to advance MIT's role in the world
- Equip leaders to shape MIT's culture of development and inclusion
L2L Learning Objectives
Upon completing L2L, L2L Fellows are able to:
- Describe and act upon their role insuring the stewardship of MIT, its mission and values
- Think and act creatively, flexibly and strategically as leaders
- Anticipate and manage change efforts successfully at MIT
- Leverage strong relationships with others across the Institute
- Nurture a culture of development and inclusion at MIT
Who Should Apply to L2L?
L2L is intended for people at MIT who have formal or informal responsibilities for leading organizations and/or change initiatives. Applicants typically:
- Have experience leading people to bring about change
- Are currently in a role at MIT that involves leading change
- Are open to feedback, reflection, and the hard work involved in participating fully in all aspects of L2L
- Have the support of the leader(s) in their organization for their leadership development
If you are interested in improving your effectiveness as a supervisor or manager of individuals, we encourage you to consider HR's management development programs. See Essentials of Managing and Managing for Excellence.
How L2L Works
L2L is a 12-month program, offering both a theoretical leadership framework and hands-on leadership experiences. Working with current senior MIT leaders and faculty, L2L Fellows build skills through conversations, workshops, projects and presentations.
The program includes state-of-the-art developmental concepts:
- multi-rater assessments
- individual development plans
- executive coaching
- strategic projects