You are eligible to receive assistance under the Tuition Assistance Plan if you are paid by MIT, are appointed to work at MIT for at least one year, and work at least 50% of the full-time work schedule in your department, laboratory, or center. Learn more about eligibility.
- After you complete a career counseling course or session, visit the Tuition Assistance Account page (Atlas).
- Enter your course/career counseling session information and provide a brief one-paragraph statement of your goals and objectives for the course or career counseling session.
- Collect your backup materials:
- a photocopy of the published course description or a contract printed on the letterhead of the school or agency
- an explanation of the objectives of the course or career counseling session, the methods used, and the length
- background information on the credentials of the instructor or career counselor
- Submit your back-up documentation including proof of payment and a letter or certificate of successful completion within one year to the MIT main campus HR Department, E19-215, or the Lincoln Lab Workforce Service Center, S2-112.
The Tuition Assistance Plan will reimburse eligible employees for certain career counseling or coaching expenses. Reimbursement is limited to $500 every five years and is counted against an employee’s maximum tuition reimbursement limit in a calendar year.
- covered: individual or group counseling on career choices, skills assessment, career planning, job searching, and career transition
- not covered: typing or printing of resumes
No prepayment option
The prepayment option may not be used for career counseling/coaching.
Review the comprehensive Summary Plan Description (SPD) below or contact the Benefits Office.